Re: Revamping knob for stretch icons

On 10/20/05, Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it> wrote:
Hei! we are still using the same knob from Eazel days.

Why don't use the attached one? Yeah, it's 10x10 instead 8x8, but
1280x1024 is the usual screen resolution now, I think we can scale it
up.

While I have nothing agaisnt the suggestion as such, I just have to point out that this is an assumption that you just can not make (and you quote no sources for this fact either). Web and GUI designers have been saying much the same thing since, well, 1999 and have been forced to back up ever since.

There's a lot of people who run 1024x768, and also a lot of people running 800x600. And many of these will never switch, even though they have the screens for it. For some, it's about getting better update frequencies, but for many, like my father, it's a simple matter of eyesight. In many developing countries, I'm also willing to bet many can't run 1280x1024.

So if you design anything from this assumption, you risk shutting out many people. Not sure if this even affects this particular suggestion, but it should not be used as a reason.

--
Kristoffer Lundén
kristoffer lunden gmail com