Re: Set wallpaper context extension

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 14:22 -0500, Adam Israel wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I noticed that there is no apparent way to set the desktop background
> from within Nautilus.  I know that you can middle-click+drag to the
> desktop to set the desktop too, but that only works if you're letting
> Nautilus manage your desktop (as far as I know). It seems (to me) that
> it would make sense to be able to right-click on an image and set it as
> your background so I hacked up an extension last night to add a "Set as
> Wallpaper" option to the context menu for images.
>
> http://battleaxe.net/projects/nautilus-wallpaper/
>
> I don't know if there's any policy for extensions, but something like
> this seems like it could be a useful core feature. Or that's just me ego
> talking ;)

Its pretty easy and natural to change the desktop background in nautilus
in the default setup (with nautilus managing the desktop). The desktop
background setting is available in the context menu of the desktop.

Having this operation in each image file is pretty strange. Typically
context menus operate on the object you want to change, not on the
parameter you want to apply to something. Also, we try to keep down the
size of the context menus, and adding something as seldom used as
setting the desktop background to every image file grows the menu
unnecessary.

If you don't use nautilus to handle the desktop you're on your owns from
nautilus viewpoint (i.e. you have to use Desktop->Preferences->Desktop
Background). I think this is fair, because it is non-standard, and if
you disabled that its unlikely that you use Nautilus much.

Still, if some people think this is important they can now use your
extension to get it!

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scrappy umbrella-wielding rock star with acid for blood. She's a
wealthy Buddhist advertising executive in the witness protection program. They
fight crime!