Re: Nautilus epiphany integration & file transfers

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 14:04 +0200, Raphaël Slinckx wrote:

> > I think a nice system would be if all slow file transfer operations in
> > the system (say longer than 3 seconds) showed up in a shared dialog that
> > pops up when each new download starts. You can see each current file
> > transfer, either in a collapsed state where you see estimated time left
> > only, or in a more detailed state where you see things like download
> > rate, current amount downloaded etc. If you hide/close the progress
> > window it shows up as an icon in the panel (similar to e.g. the
> > NetworkManager applet or the battery applet). You can tell from the icon
> > if its downloading or if its finished, and if you click on it you get
> > the progress window back.
> >
> > Actually, I'm not even sure such a progress dialog setup need to be
> > implemented in nautilus. Maybe nautilus is just a user of the progress
> > subsystem, just as epiphany is.
>
> In the comments of my blog post, someone talked about his project (or
> maybe it was someone else's project)
>
> http://gtask.sourceforge.net/
> http://gtask.sourceforge.net/averti/averti.html
>
> It appear quite un-active, but it if more for the idea that i come up
> with this.

RDF? Configuration? huge panel applet?

It looks like the right idea, but overengineered and perhaps
over-featured.

> Would it be generally accepted to have that sort of thing included with
> gnome desktop ?

I can't speak for all of gnome of course, but slightly less ambitious ,
with the right implementation, sure. It sounds right to me.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lonely umbrella-wielding firefighter looking for 'the Big One.' She's a
ditzy cigar-chomping politician prone to fits of savage, blood-crazed rage.
They fight crime!