Re: Extending dns-sd

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 13:30 +0300, WareKala ` wrote:
> I don't know if this is the correct place or will I piss people off like
> this, but this is anyway where I was told to ask my questions..So, what I
> had in mind is making dns-sd a bit more useful in nautilus. I don't actually
> know if this should be in gnome-vfs or somewhere else, but yesterday I was
> playing around getting howl working. Finally I saw sftp-ssh in network://
> with Nautilus, but I was a bit surprised there were no other services
> showing up, even though I did publish nfs, http, vnc etc. Even plain ssh
> didn't show up, only sftp-ssh. So, I came to thinking that why not let
> programs "assign" themselves to certain services? So for example if Gaim
> also supported howl, gaim would publish a service like msn along with the
> used alias and account info. Now on another computer I'd install Gaim, it
> would register itself with msn.tcp, and thereafter Nautilus would show up a
> nice MSN icon whenever the other person was logged in, and doubleclicking
> that icon would do whatever Gaim was assigned to do, f.ex. send an IM to
> that person. I have a picture to better explain what I had in mind in:
> http://kinuski.ath.cx:2048/dnssd.png

We only show "file share" services in nautilus. As a general rule, we
try hard to avoid exposing things that are not really normal files in
the file manager.

> This approach would make it alot more practical and would allow for more
> interesting stuff, too. I've been sketching an idea of something I call
> SimpleShare. Short put not everyone needs all the functionality of samba,
> NFS needs root access and so forth, so why not run a sharing daemon in
> user-space? SimpleShare-daemon would just use some arbitrary port number,
> whichever was open, and would publish the shared files and folders via howl,
> along with the info as to who shared them. This way it would even be
> possible for multiple users simultaneously sharing stuff on the same
> computer, everyone would just have a port of their own. Now, Nautilus would
> then come in picture when browsing network://. If there was a handler
> assigned to SimpleShare.tcp, Nautilus would show all those shares where
> users would expect to find them, and without problems in connecting to each
> and every one of them.

This already exists. Its called gnome-user-share.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a deeply religious drug-addicted dog-catcher on his last day in the job.
She's a mentally unstable Buddhist college professor with an evil twin sister.
They fight crime!