Re: spatial mode, world map

On 4/26/05, Daniel Borgmann <spark-mailinglists web de> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 16:29 +0200, Magnus Damm wrote:
> > Also, I think it would be good if the system was efficient to use for
> > people that only knows about folders and have no idea about things
> > like an absolute path or slash-chars and how they work. So I would
> > like to be able to jump to a target without typing in a path.
>
> Sure, it was just an example how spatial folder objects in conjunction
> with another method to navigate to a target can be very efficient. Also
> people who are not geeks usually shouldn't have a reason to access any
> system or hidden folder under normal circumstances. :) And I believe a
> tree view would already solve the "deep hierarchy" problem for those
> users.

Yes, adding a tree view would be a good thing IMO. But if someone
wants to hack up a zoomable world map that is mapped on a sphere and
placed on the desktop as a desklet then I would prefer that. =)

> > > What intrigues me so much about the whole spatial concept is to a large
> > > extend, that it makes cooperation between different desktop objects not
> > > just possible, but also natural and efficient.
> >
> > I agree. But I think some pieces of the spatial puzzle are still
> > missing to make it as efficient as it could be.
>
> I see it more as a LEGO construction kit than a puzzle. ;) The
> possibilities for extension are infinite and the components can all
> compliment each other.

IANAGP (I am not a gui programmer), so I do not see any tree-parts in
my LEGO drawer... =) But someone, please hack up a tree view.

/ magnus