Re: Idea: Tooltip showing file properties when you hover over the file

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 22:35 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> Now if want to see some details about a file in the icon view I have to
> open the properties window. Would be handy if a tooltip would show up
> when you hovered over the file which would display stuff like
> modification date, size, permission etc.
>
> What do people think about this idea?

In general it would be very nice to have a way to quickly bring up more
information about a file (primarily a preview of it). However, using
hovering for this is a bad idea, as it will often be in the way. You'll
accidentally leave your mouse over something and it'll pop up, covering
the files you're working with.

I actually talked to some apple finder developer about previews, and he
was interested in it too. However, he hadn't been able to figure out a
good ui for it either.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a genetically engineered voodoo master criminal from a doomed world.
She's a pregnant snooty bodyguard trying to make a difference in a man's
world. They fight crime!