Re: Full-URI in window title?

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 14:11, Raul Acevedo wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 10:59 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 18:12 +0200, Jürg Billeter wrote:
> >
> > > In nautilus 2.8.0 the windows would have "me on someserver" resp. "me"
> > > for the local folder as title, so as long as they are on different
> > > servers you can easily distinguish them.
> >
> > And since in spatial mode you can only have one window open to a
> > particular folder on a particular server, you will always be able to
> > distinguish them.
>
> Actually, no.  That's one of the reasons I stopped using spatial.  I can
> have three "foo" windows open at the same time, and without looking
> carefully at the contents or clicking on the lower left button to see
> the hierarchy, I can't tell which is which.  Me "remembering" which one
> was last opened at what position is not useful.

If you have three directories /etc, /opt/etc and /usr/local/etc and have
them all open then yes you will have three spatial views labeled 'etc',
however what Davyd was indicating was that you can't have one directory
/etc opened in two different spatial windows. Nautilus raises the first
one when you try and open it again (which is a beautiful spatial thing).

> I think having the full URI in the title would be very useful.

I don't think the *full* uri would be very nice to look at (personally I
think seeing file://bleh or ssh://foo is just ugly and not something I'd
want to force Aunt Tulip to work with) but I do agree something needs to
distinguish different directories with the same name. Perhaps just
enough parent folders included in the name would be good. So for the
above /etc, /opt/etc and /usr/local/etc you'd have one titled "etc", the
second "opt/etc" and the third would be "local/etc".

I think that solution would be much easier on the eyes and still give
the title distinction we're looking for.

--
Kevin C. Krinke <kckrinke opendoorsoftware com>
Open Door Software Inc.