Re: file sequences and plugins

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 20:12 -0400, Ricardo Veguilla wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 16:32 +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:
>
> > I work at a film company and, at present, we have our own, crack fuelled
> > and nasty file browser started years before I got here and I'm looking
> > into replacing it with Nautilus.
> >
> > We have two fairly specific requirements however. We deal with
> > directories full of frames - anywhere between a few hundred and a few
> > thousand but, most of the time, these are in sequence and we treat them
> > as single object.
> >

> > My basic plan was to write a vfs layer that would fake presenting the
> > files as a single object with a faked mime type so that we could write
> > scripts that deal with them.
> >
> > The other thing I'd like to do is the ability to right click on a
> > directory and have that set as the current scen (and/or shot and/or
> > job). I had vague naughty thoughts about faking up a mime-type using the
> > VFS layer but I'm not sure that would work - is there any clean way of
> > adding options to the context menu dependent on path withotu forking the
> > code base?
> >
> > Nice to haves would include having a detailed file information panel
> > (with possible lookups into our shot tracking DB) which I presume that I
> > can just do with a side-bar. Also the ability for people to store app
> > shortcuts on the browser but again I presume I can do that as a side
> > panel if somebody hasn't already done it.
> >

> I'm not a nautilus developer, but, hopefully, someone with more
> knowledge will correct any misinformation on my part.
>
> You can add items to the context menu by writing a nautilus-extension. I
> couldn't find any tutorial/example/howto but I guess you could use the
> nautilus-open-terminal as an example.
> http://lists.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2004-May/msg00022.html

Dave Camp did a talk/paper about this at the last guadec. I'm not sure
where to get hold of the video from the talk or the paper though.

> For writing a vfs module, you can check the following tutorial:
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-gnvfs/
>
> You could also write an nautilus-view component, so you'll be able to
> switch easily from traditional file views to the "frame-sequence" view.

I don't recommend using a view. They are hard to do, and since you have
to do so much yourself they don't really look like a part of nautilus.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a witless playboy photographer fleeing from a secret government
programme. She's a violent red-headed socialite with an evil twin sister. They
fight crime!