inconsistent renaming files via copy'n'paste

While renaming files via copy'n'paste I discovered rather strange
behavior of Nautilus. In icon view copy'n'paste of file name
works as supposed, in list view the same tries to copy not
file name string, but the file itself.

Steps to reproduce:

1) create new directory, go inside
2) create file goodname.avi there
3) create file reallybrokenname.srt there

Now try to rename reallybrokenname.srt to goodname.srt this way:

4) click goodname.avi to select it, press F2
5) press CTRL+c to copy file name part
6) select 'reallybrokenname.srt', press F2 to rename
7) press CTRL+v to paste good name

In Icon View this works as supposed, in List View this action triggers
following:

1) dialog 'Item can't be renamed' appears, complaining 'reallybrokenname.srt'
already exists
2) Nautilus starts copying goodname.avi to its duplicate 'goodname (copy).avi'.

I discovered this discrepancy in nautilus 2.6.3, but it is also present in 2.8.0 as
packed for Ubuntu.

Can anyone else confirm or explain?

Vitezslav Kotrla

Post scriptum: I'm running Nautilus 2.8.0 on my corporate HP Evo D530
and performance and look is really sweet. Just wanted to say big 'thank you'
to all of Gnome hackers for their great work.