Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:42 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

> I very much doubt it they would find it appropriate to put it in the
> context menu.  There is nothing funny about it these are not arbitrary
> decisions and the Nautilus developers have learned from the mistakes of
> others (the context menus in Microsoft File Explorer are often a mess of
> third party add ons).  Aside from the limited amount of space ordinary
> users do not easily discover features only available in context menus.
> The search (is in the context of folders but) is not in the context of the
> current file or selected files so it doesn't belong in the context menu.
> I would object if they put it in the context menu without a really good
> justification for doing so but I trust that Nautilus developers would not
> do that.

Well I understand flooding the context menu is bad design but in an 00
concept, search is a verb on a folder so the context menu is the correct
place (I am assuming the context menu should only contain such verbs).

Of course whether it would make the shortlist for the limited no of
entries permissible there is a different matter and thats precisely the
question I was asking - Is search a priority item for the context menu?

It could of course be in the edit menu as well.

jamie.