Re: idea to end browser and spatial problems

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 07:05:04AM -0700, David Wagoner wrote:
> Well here is my idea on how to make everyone happy
> with the whole spatial vs browser situation. Instead
> of using a gconf entry make a preferences option for
> nautilus which will allow users to select which mode
> they want. This will make it easy for new users to
> disable it if they dont like it since preferences is
> the first spot people check to change things.

Why not just make it easier to switch between the two?  The mac finder
has a button on the top right of each finder window which essencially
switches between spatial and browser view.  Would it be possible to add
something like this to nautilus?  Have a button or toggle somewhere
which basically just switches from browser style to spatial style?

There probably isn't a way to do this directly (IIRC spatial and browser
mode are completely different codebases), but there might be some sort
of magic that allows this or can fake it.

Just a thought.  I have been using spatial for a while and still find
that there are times I prefer to use browser mode, and sometimes it's a
PITA to navigate down to the same location via the browser instead of
just being able to change modes.

Alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain