Re: bug (feature request?) in nautilus

I'd rather have Nautilus do as the shell does.  The "Replace" option
should not even BE there as it has the potential of being so
destructive.

[ Skip]    [ Add new files skipping existing ones]

[ Add new files replacing existing ones ]

Would be my three dream buttons in that "Replace?" dialog box.  Now the
problem is, how do buttons 2 and 3 get shorter and meaningful names?

luck,

El mar, 16-03-2004 a las 14:06, Alexandre Hautequest escribió:
> Home wrote:
> > You are not pioneer in this question:
> >
> > Look at the discussion:
> >
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2004-March/msg00031.html
> >
> > and on bug #136055 itself.
> >

> Well, i saw, but didn't understood something. Quoting:
>
>  > > This bug had been reported many times and still in nautilus 2.4.x and
>  > > 2.5.x. Doesn't anyone think it is a critical problem?
>  >
>  > Its not obvious that this is a bug, but rather a question of different
>  > behaviours and what you're used to. Both MacOS and Unix has always had
>  > the behaviour that nautilus currently has (try doing the same operation
>  > you did in the shell). Of course, it does give problems for people who
>  > are used to the way windows does this. Unfortunately a misunderstanding
>  > about this behaviour can cause loss of data, so its a bit dangerous.
>  >
>  > Maybe we should switch to the window behaviour?
>
> In shell, it didn't erase old files; instead, they *are* preserved, new
> files are added. At least on my Unix boxes. I eventually got into
> problems because of this -- mixing different files with same subdir names.
>
> So, i can't understand Larsson's post.
>
> --
> Alexandre Hautequest
> Linux Registered User# 116289 | http://counter.li.org/
>
> Três anéis para os Reis Élficos sob este céu,
>     Sete para os Senhores-Anões em seus rochosos corredores,
> Nove para Homens Mortais, fadados ao eternos sono,
>     Um para o Senhor do Escuro em seu escuro trono
> Na Terra de Mordor onde as Sombras se deitam.
>     Um Anel para a todos governar, Um Anel para encontrá-los,
>     Um Anel para a todos trazer e na escuridão aprisioná-los
> Na Terra de Mordor onde as Sombras se deitam.
--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net