Re: FEATURE: Icon Resource in application binaries

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 22:56, Ionut Cotoi wrote:
> Hey, we don't want to make things THAT UNIVERSAL... nobody said
> that....
> We can put away the part with the scripts (even though it is not that
> hard), there is no such thing on any other platform either (not that
> we shouldn't come up with something original from time to time), but
> embedding something at link-time in to the elf header that can be
> afterwords read by a file manager, it's not hard.
> I think that we should focus on what would be cleaner to implement for
> the elf executable format, and Linux in particular.
I think you all miss one important thing.
With you resolution you require that the "read" permission is set.
You don't need _read_ permission to execute a binary. The only bit which
is needed is _execute_.
About putting icons in EAs. You need to check what limitations are for
size of a single EA and all EAs per directory entry. And what about
filesystems without EAs then?

Regards,

Olaf