RE: mounting removable media in 2.6

> It's as simple as double click over the device icon in the "Computer"
> folder. It will mount the device and will open a Nautilus window with
> its contents.

Thanks for reply, Carlos. But I don't like idea of having "Computer"
icon on my desktop, "Home" is enough for me. Moreover, I got no
permanent network connection on my home computer and no special
hardware, so I having that icon living on my desktop just to be able
to mount removables is a bit awkward. Even if I have "Computer"
icon on desktop for justifiable reasons, it still requires unnecesary
mouse moves and clicks to get there.

Desktop context menu entry in 2.4 was just simple - right click anywhere
on Desktop where you just happen to be, select your media and its
"browseable" icon gets spawned on the destop.

I had to get used to it, since I came from KDE world, where you have
"drive" links living on desktop waiting to be "switched on/off" (and changing
icon accordingly), but at the end of the day I liked this Gnome elegant
simplicity.

Now if destop context menu entry is offending some philosofical principles,
what about small nice small replacement for existing drive mounting applet,
which would offer the same functionality (list of available drives to mount/un
mount) + it could be accessible on panel even if desktop is hidden deep
under some windows. Existing drive mountig applet is big, ugly and
uncomfortable if you have more mounting poinst (apologies to respectable
author).

Is there someone out there sharing similar opinions, or am I alone in this
brave new 2.6 world? Bad thing is I got some friends whom I converted
to Gnome and I don't know how to explain this change to them <sigh>

Thanks for any comment or ideas.

Vit