Re: POSIX ACL

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 15:08 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 18:59, Ionut Cotoi wrote:
> > Well I'l be glad to do it if you give me a point to start, this
> > feature is somehow useful in my projects.

> It requires a thorough study of all the ACL systems out there (webdav,
> ntfs, various unix filesystems, etc). Then we need to design an ACL
> system that can handle all of these and fit into gnome-vfs. We may also
> need to re-think how permissions are handled in general in gnome-vfs so
> that we can effectively use ACLs. Then we need to start implementing ACL
> support for the various backends.

To start with, you might want to look at libacl and libattr. These are
what most things (ie. Samba) use to manipulate ACLs.
While thinking about ACLs, try to think about extended attributes. These
are also useful, and could possibly be more so in the future, allow us
to store metadata and thumbnails in the extended attributes of the file
itself. IT'S JUST LIKE RESOURCE FORKS! Maybe without the crack...

--d

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA