Re: CD Writing Proposal

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 22:02, Benjamin Kahn wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 11:42 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Windows has dialogs like this, and I hate them. And my dad ("typical
> > user") just gets confused by them, so I doubt they help many.
>
> 	Yes, Windows and the Macintosh both have similar dialogs here.  Here
> are the dialogs for each:
>
> http://www.xvsxp.com/burning/images/burn-dialog.jpg
> ( http://www.xvsxp.com/burning/images/insert-cdr-menu.jpg )
>
> http://www.xvsxp.com/images/cdburn-xp-1.jpg
>
> Some alternatives could be:
>      1. Always open the nautilus CD burner window when a blank CD is
>         inserted.
>      2. Simply create an icon on the desktop for the blank CD.
>      3. Create a blank CD icon in the notification area
>      4. Do nothing.  :^)
>
> Obviously there are other possibilities.

In this spectrum, i would lean towards something like 2 or 3. I.e. do
something, but don't interrupt the workflow of the user, or block him
using some other app for the blank cd.

> > * The placement of nautilus-cd-burner in the application menu. I'd
> > really like nautilus-cd-burner to be an integrated part of the system,
> > so that writing cds is as natural with the file manager as copying a
> > file. This is hard, but totally punting it and calling it an app isn't a
> > nice solution. And anyway, if an app in the menu launches a window
> > manager window (which hopefully users doesn't think of as an "app") that
> > might be confusing.
>
> 	I haven't performed any testing of this yet, but I was trying to think
> of the different ways people start trying to burn a CD.
>
>      1. Insert the blank CD
>      2. Start the CD burning application
>      3. Grouping files (songs) into a directory
>      4. Downloading the ISO
>      5. Asking their kid to do it for them.
>
> I wanted to cover option 2 since it seemed likely.

I guess this is sort of important. I just have a fear that people
looking for "the cd burning application" expects a full-blown nero-style
cd burning app. Which they rightly might want to, as such an app has a
good place next to the quicker/easier/more limited nautilus-cd-burner.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a shy pirate ex-con on the hunt for the last specimen of a great and
near-mythical creature. She's a mentally unstable African-American queen of
the dead with the soul of a mighty warrior. They fight crime!