Re: Natilus using UTF-8 for filenames regardless of locale

nautilus-list-bounces gnome org wrote on 2004/07/16 17:27:17:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:59:30 +0200 Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > This is the general behaviour in Gnome (this should be in some FAQ). If
> > you want to use locale-dependent encoding for filenames, set the
> > environment variable G_BROKEN_FILENAMES.
>
> Yes, that fixes it. Thanks for that!
>
> Can you tell me the rationale for this decision? I can't make any sense of
> it. If the user has set his locale he probably wants it respected.

I agree.
I understand that UTF-8 is the way to go but as lot of programs doesn't comply yet with this standard.
So, it would be better if gnome could do it with user's preferences. But is it worst doing it? That's another question that I don't try to answer here. Characters encoding is such a mess :-).

> Also, can you tell me why Nautilus displays Filenames in different
> character sets correctly? How the hell does it figure out the correct
> cahracter set? This has the same taste as IE guessing the character set
> used in HTML-Pages...

I think the UTF-8 standard is backward compatible with all the ISO-8859-... standards. This means, it's UTF-8 that guesses character set not nautilus.
So, as, I guess, nautilus is using UTF-8 to display characters, it is able to display lots of character sets.