Natilus using UTF-8 for filenames regardless of locale

Hi!

I've recently been bitten by this unexpected behaviour:

I don't use UTF-8 on my system (locale is de_DE euro -> iso-8859-15).
But when I create or rename files containing non-ASCII chars using
Nautilus they are in UTF-8 which makes them impossible to read on the
console or in other applications which respect the locale.

Interestingly Nautilus displays the filenames correctly whether they are
in UTF-8 or ISO-8859-15.

My question then, is this: Is this behaviour expected? If yes, please
explain why. Because to me it just means that I can't use Nautilus to
rename files...

Thanks,
 Mika (finding Nautilus great apart from the above)