RE: Nautilus, metadata and extendet attributes

El jue, 29-01-2004 a las 02:49, Xavier Bestel escribió:
> Le mar 27/01/2004 à 09:32, raphael bosshard slm admin ch a écrit :
> > As far as I know, EAs are cached. Some more
> > information anyone?) it is definitely faster than sniffing the content of
> > the file and try to match it against some regexes (This may be a bit
> > oversimplyfied.)
>
> What do you mean by "EAs are cached" ? They are all stored linearly
> on-disk ? IMHO this is highly implementation-dependant, and in the case
> where you have to seek to read each EA, you'll have exactly the same
> delay as when you sniff all files.

Reading EAs, while not as fast as simply reading a directory listing,
would be much faster than opening each file sequentially.  The reason
for this is that:

1) there is a higher probability of EAs being cached on memory than the
file contents
2) the usage of EAs makes new things possible
3) the byte size of EA contents would be a tiny fraction (orders of
magnitude less) than of the files they describe

Once you've determined the file type and stored it in an EA, subsequent
reads would be faster than sniffing the files, for all the
aforementioned reasons.

Nearly everyone here is forgetting about the exciting new possibilities
and features EAs could enable or power.

Why are people against using EAs?  Simply use them wherever they're
available, and presto.  What's the big deal?  They're mature enough, a
standard, and available nearly everywhere.  And where they're not
available, there's always the old ways.

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net