Re: search tool

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 17:41, David Christian Berg wrote:
> Guessing from some bug reports there must be some kind of search tool
> for nautilus. Is that the standard gnome one, or is there a extra one
> implemented in nautilus. I can't find anything on this on the webpage
> nor does an apt-search return any results.
> I assume that is a dumb question after all, but can anybody help me out
> on it?

Nautilus 1.x could use Medusa 5.1.  Integration broke when Nautilus went
to 2.x.  Medusa 6.x has a very usable GUI search and list display much
like Nautilus had, but not as cool.

When a get a handle on Nautilus' new extension API, I'll begin
reintegrating Medusa with Nautilus.  If Medusa is installed, Nautilus
wont compile cleanly because of the GNOME 1.x search code still in
Nautilus 2.x--I recommend undef HAVE_MEDUSA.

If you want to checkout Medusa, use CVS HEAD, it is very stable.  I've
had no errors for 40 days, and I build a full index on 25G for two hours
every day.

A word to the wise, just because Medusa can return 100,000 file matches
in 9 seconds, doesn't mean you want to see it.  I'm currently looking at
making Medusa return the full set of metadata for the results, so
Nautilus will not have to crawl the file system get file posix and
mime-type.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.