Re: Directory drill-down navigation

> * Keep spatial navigation the same, but offer a way to change the default
> navigation to explorer-like navigation.  This doesn't fix spatial navigation,
> but it does offer a way for users who do not wish to use to avoid it.

I believe this option is currently in CVS as a gconf key, but no GUI for
it. Also, there is the possobility of right-click->browse folder, which
is now avalible in more places.

> * Instead of tabs, create a back-stepping list on the side, a "history" of
> previously visited directories.  This would remove the back/forward/up
> buttons, but it adds another element that the user would have to understand.

This is avalible in the current nautilus with a little button on the
bottom of the window that pops up a list of the current folders in the
path and lets you open somthing upper in the path. I dont think this
iwdget is very discoverable (home many people click on a status bar?)
but once you find it, it's priceless.

> * Add keyboard accelerators to jump back and forth between open spacial
> folders.  This is an advanced user activity, but it does solve the Fitt's Law
> distance, assuming, that is, that there aren't more than a handful of open
> spacial folder windows open.

Since most people will be selecting folders with the mouse, I dont think
this is very helpful, unless the mouse itself moves, somthing which is
dont think is possible, or even recommended.

Daniel Brodie