Re: Nautilus as File Chooser

Hi Shmyrev,

your file-selector is pretty much like the one I suggested when this
topic was discussed on the usability list the last time. I've made a
mock-up at that point of time, which can be found at
http://www.sipsolutions.de/open-save-mockup2.png.
I strongly recommend to get rid of the menubar and just keep the
toolbar, because there's been a hell of a discussion about whether or
not a dialog may have a menubar. And well, what can I tell you: the
answer is no and I personally agree with that answer.
As you can see, I added a edit-filename button and a new folder button
to the toolbar, because I believe they are the functions most used in a
opendialg (besides opening or saving files and browsing)
You can also see an options button at the bottom. This is because it was
suggested that you don't always want to have those anoying dialogs, for
example when you're saving pngs in the gimp, but just want to use the
default settings.. if you want to do so, you just uncheck the Show
Options Checkbox.
Thinking about it, there should just be that checkbox and not the
button. Because if you want to have the options, you then should get
_one_ dialog with several notebook tabs and a the possibility to save
those as default.

Since I don't know cyrilic or I guess russian that is, I'm not sure,
what your menus do and stuff.

But anyway, I'm happy that somebody started out programming a nautilus
based dialog.

Take care

David