Re: Nautilus and locales

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 12:05, Kotrla Vitezslav wrote:
> Yesterday I've been very surprised to found Nautilus renaming files using
> UTF-8. As my filenames are always ASCII and I never use spaces, I would
> never realize it myself. My unbiased and "naive" friend, for whom I installed
> Gnome desktop recently, used some native Czech filenames and I was very
> surprised in console to see two-byte characters.
>
> System locale is cs_CZ.ISO-8859-2, so I wonder why ever Nautilus uses
> UTF-8. Please could someone shed some light on this matter?
>
> PS: I even switched system locale to cs_CZ.UTF-8, but nothing has
> changed namely in gnome-terminal, I still see two byte unreadable
> characters.

>From http://www.gtk.org/gtk-2.0.0-notes.html:

* The assumption of GLib and GTK+ by default is that filenames on the
  filesystem are encoded in UTF-8 rather than the encoding of the locale;
  The GTK+ developers consider that having filenames whose interpretation
  depends on the current locale is fundamentally a bad idea.

  If you have filenames encoded in the encoding of your locale, then
  you may want to set the G_BROKEN_FILENAMES environment variable:

   G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1
   export G_BROKEN_FILENAMES

  Best integration of GTK+-2.0 with the environment is achieved by
  using a UTF-8 locale.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a deeply religious flyboy barbarian in a wheelchair. She's a warm-hearted
bisexual traffic cop with the soul of a mighty warrior. They fight crime!