Re: Feedback: Six Nautilus annoyances

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 06:21, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 04:34, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> > 2. Almost all of the times, when I have two Nautilus windows open and I
> > right click on a file on the first window and tell it to "Copy", and then I
> > go to the other window to tell it to Paste it via the context menu, the
> > Paste option is greyed out. I have to *reload* the second nautilus window in
> > order to let it know that an item is ready for pasting. I find this behavior
> > very weak for a file manager, because cut/copy/paste is what it supposed to
> > be doing *well*.
>
> You don't actually need to reload the window to make the paste menu
> work, selecting a file is enough. But it is rather lame, yes.
>
> The underlying reason for this is a problem with X11. There is no way to
> get told when the owner of a selection changes, so we can't update the
> sensitivity of the paste menu. The fix for this is in the XFIXES X
> extension, but that hasn't ended up in a widely distributed Xserver yet.
> I added some code to cvs that makes it notice changes from inside
> nautilus, so the basic cut/paste cycle in nautilus should work better
> now. It can still be confused if other X clients modify the clipboard
> though.

Well, since the main problem should most of the time be copying and
pasting between nautilus windows, which are usually in the same process
anyway, can't there be a little hack so that for inter-nautilus
copy&paste it could notify about the other windows about it internally?

It might not be worth it, if there is a proper fix for it that should be
popular, but I just have no idea on the status of XFixes and so forth.

--
Daniel Brodie