Re: Nautilus, metadata and extendet attributes

Julien Olivier wrote:

 > If you have a shell script called script.jpg, it will first be
 > detected as a picture, and clicking on it will activate sniffing on
 > it. Then, Nautilus will see it's actually a shell script, falling
 > back to the default behavior for shell scripts, which is: ask for the
 > user whether she wants to display it in a text editor or execute it.

I haven't spoken much in this thread, but I agree 100% with these
comments.  Fix the slowness problem NOW.  Use extensions for fast
initial display, then sniff when you click on a file.  If they don't
match, ask the user.  What's wrong with this approach until the magic
bullet that requires an external framework that will take months if not
years to implement?

Raul