Re: Nautilus, metadata and extendet attributes

Le lun 02/02/2004 à 11:49, Olaf Frączyk a écrit :
> There are 3 main mechanisms which make such viruses dangerous:
> 1. Users stupidity - they click on .exe file in an attachment not
> thinking about it. Sniffing helps nothing here - such users will run
> files with viruses anyway.
> 2. Bad Windows defaults - user sees mypicture.jpg, but in real it is
> mypicture.jpg.exe - this is because of hiding extensions. If you don't
> hide - you have no problem.
> 3. Automatic code execution by IE, Outlook, Outlook Express - you see an
> html attachment, but when you open it, an executable embedded inside is
> run automatically. This is simply bad design of these applications. And
> sniffing wouldn't help here either.

Funny you mention it, I just received this one in a zip file today:
"Readme.txt                                                  .scr"
This one is clever and not into your list.

Now, calling users who click on .exe stupid is a gratuitous insult. I
know several of them who will do that because they are just ignorant of
the fact it can be dangerous, but they are *not* stupid. Call them
uneducated.