Re: how to change icon representing filetype

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 09:29 +0100, Kotrla Vitezslav wrote:
> >From Nautilus 2.8.2 Help:

>    7.4.4 To Change the Icon for a File or Folder
>    To change the icon that represents a file type, use the File Types and Programs preference tool.
>
> Help is great, nice formatting, great pictures, very descriptive, but I just can't find this
> "File Types and Programs" tool. Any tips?

Gnome 2.8 introduced the new file type handling system, together with a
new interface for dealing with file types.  The old File Types tool was
removed, and you can change how to open each file type under the Open
With tab in the Properties dialog of any file of that type in Nautilus.

Unfortunately, this design doesn't really accomodate adding types or
changing other information about those types, such as the name of the
type or the icon.  The general assumption is that the system will ship
with a largeish base set of types defined, and applications should be
registering custom types with the system.  The icons for each type are
just automatically grabbed from the current icon theme.

If you're interested, see here:

http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/mime/

In short, there's no real way to do what you're asking for.

As for the documentation not being updated, that's entirely my fault.
I apologize for that.

--
Shaun