Re: Nautilus Sendto -- opportunities for generalisation

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Edd Dumbill wrote:

      * Nautilus context menu component ("Send To...") .

(2) I made a "Send to Bluetooth device..." extension for Nautilus.  If
there's a "Send to..." menu item, it would make sense to fold it under
that.  Furthermore, someone might write one for sending faxes.  Is there

I'd like to remark here that in my opinion, the Nautilus context menu is way too crowded already with >= 12 items. Having random apps add their items to Naut context menus makes things even more complex, and goes against the HIG[1]: "Popup menus need to be as simple as possible to maximize their efficiency. Do not place more than about ten items on a popup menu, and do avoid submenus."

My alternative solution is to make the GNOME Phone Manager phone object just another icon in Nautilus that people can use as if it were a network volume, or a launcher on the panel etc. The same thing, by the way, goes for printers too.

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/menus-types.html

thanks for reading my rant :-)

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			student of Artifical Intelligence
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778