Re: mnotify: mixing nonotify & simple mount watching (Was: Re: [RFC/PATCH] Nonotify...)

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 02:20, John McCutchan wrote:
>  It's cool and i hope you
> > can convince the kernel maintainers ... although i still think
> > generating events is a bit of an overkill, because you need to aggregate
> > them on the client side with timers anyway...
>
> inotify 0.5 is very old. You should try a newer version (I will put up a
> new patch for linux-2.6.8.1 soon). Checking for events is very cheap and
> you don't need timers, just use select() like all unix apps.

No i meant: You need to aggregate events with timers in the client to
avoid GUI-flickering and taking too much CPU-power by dealing with each
event.

> I don't see the point in having dcontents_mtime, inotify will tell you
> when an event happens and as long as the app and system behave properly
> the queue should never over flow. dcontents_mtime just seems like kludge
> around an program bug. If an app lets the queue over flow, it might as
> well re-stat everything.

I don't get it: Why is it a bug in the application if it doesn't get
enough CPU-time to read all the events? As far as i understand inotify,
there is simply NO guarantee that you receive all events. It's just
"luck".

Norbert