Re: Appearance of the new Add-Application dialog

Am Dienstag, den 27.07.2004, 04:49 +0200 schrieb Mathias Hasselmann:
> Am Mo, den 26.07.2004 schrieb Alan um 4:11:
> > On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 05:11:19PM -0700, Mason Kidd wrote:
> > > I would actually suggest that the 'Add Application' dialog match the
> > > 'Run Application' dialog, so that when it is expanded, it shows a list
> > > of 'Known Applications'.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I think that showing the user the filesystem layout, even through the
> > file chooser, should be a last resort (or 'advanced' in this case).
>
> Yup, letting alone with the thousands of binaries an average *nix system
> contains, would be quite "uncool". That's why I see some "Applications"
> shortcut in the expanded file browser, pointing on some virtual folder
> listing known applications. Maybe this shortcut could be preselected.

I think this is a bit odd. If an application installs a desktop file, it
is supposed to add a MimeType field and is therefore added
automagically. If it doesn't, we ought to bug the app author.
Since known applications basically are the ones that have a desktop file
associated with them, the onliest use-case of adding an application is
in fact that you want to choose one of the thousands of binaries.
The primary idea of the new MIME system is to make it very simple for
app authors to associate an application with a MIME type.

regs,
 Chris