Re: Nautilus patch to prevent annoying flicker during directory loading

I wonder if the hourglass is informative enough for *really* slow remote
file systems. For something like a relatively local NFS or SMB URI, a
short period with an hourglass wouldn't be much of a surprise to a user.
I've browsed SMB domains in Nautilus that take a few minutes to fully
list - I shudder to think how slow it might be over a remote connection.
Likewise, browsing directories over high-latency remote connections
could be pretty nasty as well.

So the current behavior is not just an issue of letting people use the
remote directory before it's finished loading - there's a visual
indication of progress that gives a better indication that the remote
operation is just slow, and not failing, timing out, or hung. I'm not
sure how important that perception is.

Maybe a middle ground would slow down the rate at which the directory
updates occur, so that for (typical) local directories, the update
timeout never occurs, but for really slow directories, you get a
periodic, but not jarring, update of the directory contents.

Alternately, maybe there's some other indicator that could be used in
conjunction with your patch to give a sense of (slow) progress, rather
than just an hourglass?

- George