something to think about wrt volume management

With this talk of a new volume management scheme, I thought I'd post
this screenshot to point out a couple things...

First, here's the link: http://upevil.net/temp/800by600.png

(note that in this screenshot, the "MP3 Player" icon is supposed to
represent a portable music player, not XMMS or some such)

As the title suggests, this was taken at 800x600 resolution, still
common these days.  The screenshot shows the effective maximum number of
files on the desktop with the current grid size in Nautilus (without
using the half-grid increments, which results in overlapping icons using
the default font sizes) as being only 15.  If there are a bunch of
folders dropped onto the desktop, as well as device icons, etc, we could
end up with as few as only 4 or 5 user-created/downloaded files fitting
on the desktop...

I'm not suggesting a solution here, or even attempting to point out the
source of the problem, just bringing up a potential conflict.

 - jck

--
"The bugs in Sawfish, and its greater configurability, are not
orthogonal/unrelated facts"