Re: volumes mark 2

From: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>

This is another proposal, which apart from the desktop is much like
the initial proposal. Except we decided that there will be no
printers, scanners or other hardware in the filesystem. The place for
such things are in the control center.

Why not include printers? In the CUA guidelines there is a very nice example of allowing users to print files by dragging and dropping them to the printer, similar to how user move files to other media. I think including a direct manipulation way to print like this through nautilus would be great.[1]

When discussing this someone always brings up the desktop-is-home
setting now available as a hidden setting. In some ways this is a very
nice setup. However, in practice there are various issues that make
this not really possible to use by default. (Some people disagree with
me, but lets not have that old discussion again.)

Actually I'm very happy with the new setup now. I might even start using it once its more polished :)

Also on the desktop, as before, is trash, mounted removable media,
plugged in hardware (mp3 players, cameras etc) and links to connected
servers. I'm not sure whether we want a "Computer" link on the
desktop, but I think not. Its not a commonly used thing, since all the
mounted volumes are already reachable from the desktop.
Places like home, computer and network are easily reached from menus
in the nautilus window and the panels.

Well not in the spacial ui. The spacial ui should probably only file, edit, view and help menus. (I think macos7 had a special menu to allow users to change the color of a folder too). Once again hiding stuff in the menus is not a good idea imo. You reduce the visibility and discoverability (especially considering that the floppy drive will apparently only be available from computer). There are circumstances where having access to the main file system is useful. I don't think we should completely hide it from users imo. [2]
I'd also like to re-introduce
the favorites system as a way to quickly reach commonly used
places. Favorites is more important in a spatial system, since deep
navigation is more work.

Since the desktop is the default place for user files now people are
gonna have to structure it a bit better, using directories. New users
might not immediately figure this out, so it would be nice if we could
create a few directories by default. Say "Documents", "Photos" and
"Music". These could then be used as default start locations for
specific apps, allowing users to structure their files
"automatically".

The other option is to implement these apps as nautilus views of the folders (aka content specific views). dave [1] Sorry for jumping in late on this issue, I must have missed the conversation since I haven't been able to watch the thread that closely. Got to pick your battles too I guess :) [2] FWIW every version of macos that I'm aware of has had a desktop link to the "Computer". Every version of windows has too (except for xp) .