Re: volumes mark 2

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 16:05, Julien Olivier wrote:

> > Also on the desktop, as before, is trash, mounted removable media,
> > plugged in hardware (mp3 players, cameras etc) and links to connected
> > servers. I'm not sure whether we want a "Computer" link on the
> > desktop, but I think not. Its not a commonly used thing, since all the
> > mounted volumes are already reachable from the desktop.
> >

> Just a question: what have you finally decided about floppies ? Will
> there be an icon for them on the desktop even if not mounted or will
> there only be an icon for them in "computer" ? If there is only an icon
> for it in "computer", it could be a good idea to have "computer" on the
> desktop because it could be _very_ difficult for a newbie to figure out
> how to access his floppy...

I don't know yet. While your thinking here sounds reasonable, i just
don't like the idea of always having an empty floppy icon or a very
rarely used "computer" icon on the desktop. Damn, deciding these things
is hard! :)

> > Places like home, computer and network are easily reached from menus
> > in the nautilus window and the panels. I'd also like to re-introduce
> > the favorites system as a way to quickly reach commonly used
> > places. Favorites is more important in a spatial system, since deep
> > navigation is more work.
> >

> From the UI point of view, where would the "favorites" be located ?

It'll just be a menu thing I think, not a location. In the panel menus
and in the nautilus window menus.

> > The hard part about such directories like this is that they need to be
> > translated, and the apps using them need to find them, but the apps
> > may be running in different locales etc. Furthermore, it would be nice
> > if the directories could be renamed and things would still work. One
> > way this could be done is to place a ".docdir" file in
> > ~/Desktop/Documents, and look for that when locating the
> > directory. This is pretty fast to locate the few times you need it,
> > and the result is easy to cache (you just need one stat to validate
> > the cache). This even allows you to rename the directory if you
> > want. (And if the ~/Desktop/*/.docdir is not found we'll use ~/Desktop
> > as the default instead.)
> >

> What happens if someone moves his "Documents" folder from ~/Desktop to
> ~/Desktop/foo ? The "Documents" folder would still have the .docdir file
> but will Nautilus recursively look for this file ? I guess not.. But
> maybe FAM could help there (disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking
> about) ?

I'm not sure we can afford doing a deep search for it, so this might
mean we don't find the .docdir file and use ~/Desktop instead. Or maybe
doing a recursive search is fast enough, we can experiment with that.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an unconventional flyboy paramedic moving from town to town, helping folk
in trouble. She's a pregnant red-headed vampire from Mars. They fight crime!