RE: Volume handling proposal

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 03:07, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> I'm arguing for the removal of the Home icon from the desktop. For better or
> worst home is not really a good directory for non-technical users to mulling
> (sic?) around in. They can do alot of damage to their setup by using the
> home folder especially considering folders like ~/evolution are not hidden.
> ITs better imo to deem ~/ a system folder that users shouldn't be using to
> work with files. Instead ~/Desktop and its subfolders should be the users
> workspace.

Evolution directory is going to become ~/.evolution so it will be
hidden.

> This indeed a corner case. I'm not arguing that home ought to be desktop.
> Actually with the setup i've proposed above I no longer think it really
> makes any difference from a user standpoint. Regarding large numbers of
> files on the desktop, this is indeed an edge case. In UI design you give
> presidence to the normal case over the edge case. Most users (99%) won't
> need to worry about this edge case at all. To me that is a fair tradeoff.

Having desktop the default save location both encourages you to organize
your files in a smart way, and also makes it easy to keep your files in
order, since you can quickly sort stuff around.

Plus I tend to sort stuff by task into "piles" on different parts of the
desktop, so I know one project is on top right corner and another is in
the middle. It's a nice addition and makes it easy to later just create
a folder for that stuff in my Work-dir and just drop the whole pile of
stuff there. The desktop can really be a lot more than just a pretty
wallpaper..

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen :: Art Director, Ximian :: <tigert ximian com>