Re: desktop icon mess patch

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 18:43, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> When a user shows the nautilus desktop for the first time, currently the
> home and trash icons get stacked on each other in the top left corner.

That's sounds quite awful.

> The core issue behind this is a problem with size-allocation of
> BonoboPlug/Socket

I'd like there to be a bugzilla bug about this so that the issue doesn't
get forgotten, and I think this patch should add a comment saying that
it's a workaround.

> , which means the desktop is realized at 60x60, and
> then later re-realized at the correct size. This has caused lots of
> issues in the history of Nautilus, and the desktop code is sprinkled
> with workarounds for this problem. Apparently the new desktop icon code
> introduces another issue, where the in-memory objects are "loaded"
> before the desktop has been realized at the right size so they get laid
> out in 60x60 pixels.
>
> Here is a patch I just put in the RH packages to work around this. Its
> hacky, but this is a nasty problem. Should this go into 2.4?

I think we have to hope that it works, and you've tested it at Red Hat.
I guess that it would be quite obvious if it was making it worse. 1
approval of 2, I suppose. Well done.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net