Re: Nautilus feature idea.

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 17:05, Ian Leitch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had this idea the other day but wasn't too sure what to do with it.
> Nautilus just sprang to mind and it seems a perfect candidate.
>
> The Idea: IconMon (Just made that up ;))
>
> An extension to Nautilus's video playback abilities that allows videos,
> live streams(conferences, web cam, security video) etc, to be shrunk to
> icon size (or a user defined size) and given a small caption just like
> an icon's title, the video should also shed its window and sound muted.
> Upon double click the video is brought back to normal size, the window
> borders reappear and the caption disappears.
> Upon single click or mouse over (I like this bit) the sound is unmuted
> but the video remains in icon state.
>
> I will try knock up a Flash animation of anyone is unclear.
>
> I'm sure Ximian would love something like this, because if I'm not
> mistaken they are aiming their products at the workplace?
>
> So let me know what you think!

Hi

This idea is interesting but PLEASE don't implement it in Nautilus !

Why not create a simple app displaying your videos as icons in a window
but independent from Nautilus ? I mean, why do you need Nautilus here ?
>From what you write, i don't see where the video is managed like a file
is expected to be managed in a file manager...

More over, as nautilus is expected to move from a [not-so] universal
viewer/navigational file manager to a pure file manager (spatial by
default, navigational optionally), I think it wouldn't make sense to
have such a feature in Nautilus. That said, I really think you don't
_need_ Nautilus to create such an app.

--
Julien Olivier <julo altern org>