Localisation - and Wastebasket

How does nautilus handle localisation? I imagine there must be a configuration file somewhere, but I can't find it, and I can't find any real documentation either.

Another thing - I normally use a British English locale, and it annoys me shitless that there's this thing called a 'Wastebasket' on my desktop. In my view it should be called a 'Dustbin', and since we are in happy Linux land, this is of course no problem: you just go into ~/.gnome-desktop and change the file 'Wastebasket' to 'Dustbin' and edit it too to change the 'Name=' appropriately. This works fine until next time, where it gets changed back.

Apart from this being a totally pointless misfeature (I mean, surely the 'Wastebasket' object isn't recognised by the system via it's name, is it? Especially since it is clear from eg. 'URL=trask:' what this is) - is there a way to permanently change what is displayed on the desktop? Like the icon and the name?

/jan