some bugs in nautilus

Hi folks.  Just wanted to say "great job" to all the devs and testers,
nautilus 2.4 kicks ass and is more usable than ever.  However, in the
last couple of weeks of using it under gentoo linux I found a few bugs
or mis-features that I thought I'd ask about here for opinions or
discussion before I throw them all into bugzilla on b.g.o.

Some are what I consider bugs, others are design warts that might be
just me being overly critical or sensitive.

 - doesn't seem to recognize mp3/audio directories and doesn't put
 	'view as audio' as an option.  IIRC the previous version in gnome
	2.2 would automagically see if there were audio files in the current
	directory and add the 'view as audio' in as an option.

 - Another one with the audio/media view, I have yet to be able to get
   an mp3 to play, either locally or remotely (smb mount).  No ID3
   information shows up and when I select the file I get "ERROR no
   information yet" (bad error message as well IMHO).  .ogg files play
   and display perfectly however.

 - The default action should be copy, not move by default when dragging
   files from remote/mounted drives such as smb shares like windows copy
   or move rules.  Even just making this work for remote mounted drives,
   such as those that create a new root entry in the tree view.

 - If you go to a folder with the tree showing, select go->burn cd and
   you're moved into burn://, try to go back to the directory you were
   in (and that is still selected) via the tree view.  You can't, and
   need to select a different location in the tree and then back to
   where you were to get the directory back.

 - files on desktop flash when they change (ie: edit file on desktop
   with vim and save).  This happens even on a fast (xp2500 with 1G
   ram) machine.

 - Doesn't detect changes in file used for background (not sure if it
   should).  If you re-save the file used as the bg with changes and
   then re-drag it to make it the bg, the bg doesn't change to reflect
   those changes, you have to reset it by dragging another image there
   and then the original one again.

 - In the tree view showing "(empty)" for directories with no sub-dirs
   seems silly and wastes space.  If there are no subdirs remove the
   arrow (a la windows) or simply show nothing.

So those are the main issues I've found.  Some are bitching but some I
think are legitimate concerns, either as bugs or design issues.  I'm
pretty sure that some are relatively quick fixes and hope that some (the
legit ones anyway) can be in for 2.4.1 or 2.4.2.

Regards.

Alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain