Re: Performance

> >That sounds like just a more elegant cache to me, which wouldn't solve the
> >staleness problem.

Not sure about the staleness problem.  I feel very strongly that EAs will be the
way to go about metadata, and it wouldn't hurt if Nautilus got there first.
Eventually even the lowly yet powerful GNU fileutils will support them.

Let's face it, nautilus already uses metadata in the form of XML files littering
folders, and no one has complained about the staleness problem.

> >Murray Cumming
> >www.murrayc.com
> >murrayc usa net
> >

> What about if it were an XDG standard? Ultimately you'd think real
> metadata would be a better solution than either sniffing or file
> extensions...

Good point