RE: shift=and-close-the-current-folder?

Frederic Crozat wrote:
[snip] about removing ctrl-shift-arrow from metacity.
> I don't agree with you, this keybinding has been around for a
> loooong time (was already there with GNOME 1.4) and it is the
> only <by default> way to changing workspace with keyboard..

We can add another keybinding.

> Do we really want to force users to configure their desktop
> for changing workspace when using a keyboard ?
>
> > Of course, this is the defaults. We still allow users to map
> > <whatever>-arrow to switch workspaces. And maybe we should change
> > alt-shift to do workspace switching instead of
> > move-window-to-workspace, since that operation is in the
> window menu,
> > so you can already use the keyboard with: alt-space <number>.
>
> Replacing a keybinding by another one is really giving the
> hammer to users to be smashed :)

Do you have an alternative? I think Metacity and GNOME have to be aimed at
the needs of all users, not just old *nix types. We can expect most of our
future users to have no previous experience with workspaces. All these
keybindings were established at a time when the applications being managed
by the WM were far less usable. Now the applications need the keybindings
back.

I know it's hard to appreciate the benefits of MacOS Finder-like keyboard
navigation if you haven't tried it, but it really does make a huge
difference in my opinion.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net