Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usabilty study

Hi

Here's my humble proposition to solve this issue:

I think Nautilus should have the possibility to show thumbnails and
previews of files at the same time.

For example, if you are browsing a bunch of pictures, you should have a
preview of the first picture on the top of the window and a row full of
thumbnails of other files. Like that:

            ------------
            |          |
            |          |
            |          |
            |          |
            ------------

       ----  ----  ----  ----
       |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
       ----  ----  ----  ----

The big preview should fit the size of Nautilus' window whereas
thumbnails should have a fixed size.

I think this template could be used for any type of files (text, RTF
files, HTML, PS/PDF, music using an embedded player instead of the
preview, videos etc...). Different file types could even be mixed in the
thumbnails row.

This solution would have the following advantages:

 - I feel that it's easier to understand that the preview is read-only
if it is presented this way (that's just a personal feeling though)
 - It's easier to navigate through files while previewing them (no need
to go back after viewing each file).
 - It is the way WinXP does it for pictures ;)

What do you think of that ?