Re: Major change in desktop handling

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 07:33, Dave Camp wrote:

> Here's my objection to $HOME-as-the-desktop:

[thoughtful reasoning zapped]

I agree with Dave here. This might be a shock for a lot of people who
remember me as one of the big "home-as-desktop" -guys. I still like the
idea a lot, but as a general default setup this makes a ton of sense
since it is just more familiar, and after all, not that painful either.
I have done the symlink fun again and been using ~/Desktop for a few
weeks now and it is pretty okay. Just being able to find the desktop dir
in fileselectors removes most of the pain :)

Things that would be nice to have still:

      * A desktop button in the file selector, as well as a Home button.
        We really do need a good file selector with bookmarks and
        gnome-vfs support. The gtk filesel is not that bad, but it just
        lacks everything but the very basic functionality.

      * Even more speed for Nautilus, this has improved dramatically and
        the slowness was one of the reasons I know that drove me to find
        solutions to find my files faster. But still, under moderate
        system load opening folders can get slow. I guess this is
        unavoidable too, but it still sucks to be the user at that
        point.

So, I support what Alex and Dave proposed. When we get a good file
open/save dialog it is even better, but I am not holding my breath this
time.. I just hope it doesnt take another 5 years :)

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen | tigert ximian com | www.ximian.com