Re: Major change in desktop handling
- From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- To: Darryl Rees <rees netnam vn>
- Cc: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>, Nautilus <nautilus-list gnome org>, "desktop-devel-list gnome org" <desktop-devel-list gnome org>, "gnome-hackers gnome org" <gnome-hackers gnome org>
- Subject: Re: Major change in desktop handling
- Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:36:35 -0400
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:12:47AM +0700, Darryl Rees wrote:
> AFAI can see, Desktop has only one thing going for it - KDE
> interoperability. Has this been raised on xdg? (I've seen it
> mentioned in passing, but not as an issue in itself).
It has been raised in the past, yes. The solution I'd proposed was a
thing called desktop-directory-utils. With Alex's "virtual icons"
solution though that's no longer required.
KDE has a configurable location for the desktop, including $HOME,
so full interoperability there would really mean some spec for where
to store that setting.
I don't think we can go very far down the "shared config options"
route without having a shared config system implementation. Or you
end up with zillions of little dotfiles each with their own spec.
] [Thread Prev