How to submit patches

We've recently had some issues with patches floating around on the net,
but not having them properly submitted and reviewed. In order to avoid
things like this I added some text to the HACKING file about how to submit
patches and get them reviewed.

Here is the current contents of the HACKING file:

Hacking on Nautilus
-------------------

The Nautilus source tree is available from GNOME cvs (cvs.gnome.org) and
in releases on the GNOME FTP site
(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/nautilus/).

If you plan to hack on Nautilus, please make sure you work from the
CVS version. The CVS version can be checked from the GNOME cvs server.
See http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html for details on how to get
started with GNOME CVS.

If you want to contribute in development discussions, please send mail
to the nautilus mailing list: <nautilus-list gnome org>.  Archives and
subscription information are available at
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list

Submitting Patches
------------------

If you've been working on a change to Nautilus and want to propose it
for inclusion, you have to generate a patch and submit it for review
by the maintainers.

Patches should be made with 'cvs diff -pu >patch' and should conform to
Nautilus coding style as described in docs/style-guide.html. We are
pretty strict about coding style, so please make sure you follow the
style guide to avoid unnecessary work on both sides when reviewing the
patch.

The best way to submit a patch for review is to post it on the mailing
list. That way everyone sees it and can take part in the following
discussion about it. Sometimes people also attach patches to bugs in
bugzilla (http://bugzilla.gnome.org, product 'nautilus'). If you do
this, please send a mail to the list saying you did so, because it is
very easy for the bugzilla email to get lost in all the bugzilla
reports, and only the people CCd on the bug can partake in the
discussion.

The Nautilus maintainers do their best to review patches and help
developers that want to work on something, however we are often
swamped in work and can miss an email or just forget to answer
it. Don't be afraid of reposting your patches after a while, or poking
us about the status of them.

Also, if you're planning to do large changes, please take them up for
discussion on the list first. If you get feedback early it is much
easier to integrate it into your work.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an old-fashioned voodoo cyborg with acid for blood. She's a manipulative
communist socialite fleeing from a Satanic cult. They fight crime!