Re: "Keep Aligned" mode in nautilus

This is definately a long-awaited fix.. I can't beleive it's actually taken this long for something to happen :-). Before things become too concrete, here is my opinion on how things should be implemented:

When you right click the desktop, instead of "clean up by name" how about simply "arrange icons" In a nautilus preferences menu there should be these options for arranging icons:
 * Auto arrange icons (snap-to-grid)  [y/n]
 * Icon spacing [ pixel value, slidebar ]
 * sort by [type, name, etc]
 * do not show "Home" icon [y/n]
 * do not show "Trash" icon [y/n]
* allow user to specify "fixed" icons, for instance, "home" icon stays at (x,x) position, "trash" icon stays at (x,x) position, "Documents icon stays at (x,x) position"

<rant>
I realize that GNOME has the tendancy to include as little customization options as possible. While this is a good approch, I think there are ways you can have a clean look without sacrificing options. What we need is to have multi-level preferences, at the least, a standard and advanced set of prefs, where the advanced preferences are initially hidden from the user. An even more advanced user should be given the option to tweak config files for all of those off-the-wall preferences. Using a layered approach to user preferences is a great way to cater to both novice and advanced computer users. If you cater only to novice users, then you lose the advanced ones to competition...
</rant>

That said, GNOME is doing a marvelous job, and it has unlimited potential. If done right, it could really help to entice computer users to start using open software for every-day computing.