Re: [patch] change calculation of font size in list view/zoom levels discussion

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 09:14, Marten ter Borgh wrote:
> I'm attaching a patch that changes the way nautilus calculates the font
> size in the list view. Instead of simply using pango scale-factors,
> which don't have the same scaling interval as nautilus scale-factors, we
> now let pango calculate the height in pixels of the current font, and
> then adjust the size of that font to match the height of the icon.

I think the way we handle fonts now is probably the best balance of
attractiveness and usability.  We use the system font size at the
default zoom level, so that most of the time the user gets a size we
know he is comfortable reading.  Changes to that font size need to be
explicitly requested by changing the zoom level.

Given that requirement, the only thing that makes sense when zooming is
to scale relative to that default font size.  We might need to tweak the
scale factors for the different zoom levels, I don't know.

> Another thing: I think the icon size associated with each zoom-level
> needs rethinking. Currently, these sizes only make sense in the icon
> view, but the icons are two times too large for the list view.
> This makes the larger zoom levels (200-400) unusable (see
> http://terborgh.demon.nl/~marten/oversize.png).

Yeah.  Right now the list view and icon view share zoom levels, so 100%
in the icon view and 100% in the list view have the same size icons.  We
plan to change this for 2.4, so that 100% represents the "normal" list
view size (which is currently 50%).  While doing that we'll also take a
look at which sizes make sense for the list view and trim down the
available list.

-dave