Issues with Upgraded nautilus-cd-burner

First, the problem I have experienced is within several Redhat 7.3
machines that had been running ximian gnome 1.4. When I installed the
9.0 upgrade everything seemed to go fine. There were some issues that I
believe occurred because of library version differences between the
older ximian and newer RedHat. My last problem concerns
nautilus-cd-burner. It refuses to run.

When I insert a blank cd into a burner it is recognized and I get the
burn:/// window. I can then drag and drop to my hearts content. When I
tell it to burn it just sits there. If I try to run it from the
commandline I can actually capture a "segmentation fault" message with
 same behaviors. The problem doesn't seem to exist for
root. Root seems perfectly capable of burning cds with this method.
Also, other programs such as xcdroast work fine.

MY questions:
1) how do you troubleshoot an application like this?
2) does it drop any diagnostic messages into any logfiles that can be
parsed and studied?
3) what about the application is permission sensitive? How can I see
this? Is there any installation, verification tool that looks at
permissions?
4) Why doesn't RedHat or gnome provide any suggestions in the
documentation on troubleshooting these problems? I know the assumption
that everything will work is great but what happens when it doesn't?

My normal burn tools work, but I'm a little dismayed that I can't get a
reasonable indication of the problem area from gdb or strace. Any
suggestions you could make will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your
time...

Sam Williams                                          samurai acm org
Chairman, RockRiver Linux Users Group	   http://linux.rockriver.net