Re: Nautilus' context menu

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 07:59, Julien Olivier wrote:
> Le jeu 12/06/2003 à 04:55, Shaun McCance a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 19:52, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> > > Duh... I forgot the write the 5th.....
> > >
> > > 5. The "Delete" should not be there, because of the "keep it simple" rule.
> > > The "Move to Trash" is more than enough. The Delete function should be
> > > available on Trash's menu, not on Nautilus'. The user doesn't have to know
> > > the difference, as long the basic job is done... If the user does understand
> > > the difference, I am sure he  can find that option in Trash's context menu.
> >
> > Please note that Delete is not there by default.  It has to be enabled
> > in the preferences.  It's pretty useful for people like me who have
> > their home directory on an NFS server.
> >

> Maybe Nautilus should be able to define itself whether files can be
> moved to the trash or not. For example, when browsing a network folder,
> there should not be "move to trash" but "delete" instead. Why isn't it
> done already ? Is there any technical reason why that can't be done ?

For me, it's not an issue of the file itself being on a network server.
My home directory is on the network, and therefore my Trash directory is
on the network.  Moving any file to the Trash involves talking to the
network.  Having intelligent behavior is nice, but it's very annoying
when a program thinks it's smarter than you, and it isn't.

Also, you'd have to deal with hordes of Unix geeks who'd say something
like "When I say delete, I mean delete!"

There really are all sorts of good reasons to want to delete something,
rather than trash it.  Having an optional Delete item in the context
menu does rather suck, UI-wise.  But taking away delete would be fairly
painful.  I suppose it can always be added as an extension.

--
Shaun