Re: Nautilus' context menu

Bah this thread has annoyed me enough where I feel the need to comment. I'm just going to include general thoughts. My personal opinion is that context menus should be completely mime type specific, such that only items that affect the specified mime type are in the selected file's context menu. So in the case of the trash folder, for instance, most of the items that never apply to the trash should not be in its context menu. I do find it a little dubious that file roller includes "add to archive" to every single file's context menu. I'm guessing that:
1) Most people never use this (90% of the user base).
2) Most people would find it much more natural to simply dnd or copy and paste files directly into an archive folder. Going a little farther with this. I think the number of context menus that file roller includes is excessive. The only really needed one is "Extract Here." If a user wants to extract into a subfolder or into another folder they should dnd the archive file to the folder and do "extract here." I find it completely absured that a fileselector appears in a file manager's ui. But I digress. On the issue of a subfolder for "addons." For one, the gnome HIG specifically states "Do not place more than about ten items on a popup menu, and do not use submenus." We seem to be breaking both rules right now. Obviously there are too many menu items, but throwing stuff into a submenu is not a solution either, as submenus are slow, and context menus ought to be very fast, or they lose their usefulness. If a subfolder is determined to be necessary for some reason than I would not call it "Addons," a term that exposes an implementation detail to the user. A more appropriate label would be "Actions" since all items in the menu pertain to performing mime specific actions on the file. While I'm on it, maybe this actions menu could appear in the menubar edit menu (regardless of how the items are presented to the user in the context menu). This would give the user access to these specialized actions without needing to use context menus. [1] dave [1] The gnome HIG also states "Since the user may not be aware of their presence, do not provide functions that are only accessible from popup menus unless you are confident that your target users will know how to use popup menus."